Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Healing Game

Here I am again
Back on the corner again
Back where I belong
Where I've always been. . .
I'm back on the corner again
In the healing game


Van Morrison's song The Healing Game is a heartfelt tale of an Irish singer returning to the streets to sing the long lost songs of oral tradition. As I was listening to this song the lyrics really began to resonate with me and I felt as if God was speaking to me through this song, and possible speaking to the entire Church through this song.
When we think about it we all started out on the street corner of life but as we began to integrate into the world of Christianity we somehow ended up resting comfortably in the pew, forgetting where we started, where we belong.


Life happens on the street corner and we need to return to the corner so that we can participate in the healing game. Jesus came so that all creation might be healed, in the process he invited us to join him in the healing game. However we often disqualify ourselves from play by remaining inside. This song reached out to me and said, "Hey get off your butt and get to the street corner where you belong."


It is my prayer that we can join Morrison back on the street corner, back were we have always been, back where we belong. Then we too can participate in the healing game. The game which Christ desires all of us to play.


Sing it out loud
Sing it in his name
Sing it like you're proud
Sing the healing game.

No comments: